When You’re Living With ADHD: Symptoms and Effects
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder affects a person’s work and personal life. It disturbs the functionality of the brain and lessens the focus on things. Besides, the symptoms of ADHD vary and may become difficult to recognise. ADHD often occurs in childhood and may develop along with age. Doctors mainly diagnose ADHD in children in their teenage. However, the average age for the treatment of ADHD is seven years.
Symptoms of ADHD
Your child may experience individual symptoms of ADHD. So, your doctor will need to diagnose the child carefully. Here are some symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder:
- Self-focused behaviour: It is a typical sign of ADHD of having an
inability to recognise other’s needs. It may lead to trouble waiting for
their turn and interrupting.
- Interrupting: This behaviour of a child may interrupt others while they are talking or playing games. It may also make them seek attention every time.
- Emotional turmoil: A person with ADHD may have troubles in keeping their emotions. They may often have mood swings and irregular anger.
- Lack of focus: A person with ADHD can have trouble focusing on
something, even when someone is talking to him.
- Problems playing quietly: A child with ADHD may have trouble
playing softly. He may not be able to stay calm while doing any task or
playing a game.
- Mistakes: A person with ADHD may not be able to follow instructions
and execute the plan. These symptoms may lead to careless mistakes.
However, it does not indicate a lack of knowledge.
Treatment for ADHD, Adderall
Besides Ritalin, Adderall is the most beneficial medication for ADHD. It
contains a combination of amphetamine salts and dextroamphetamine. These salts are the central nervous system stimulants that affect chemicals inside the brain. Which, in turn, contributes to hyperactivity and impulsive control. Adderall is also beneficial to treat narcolepsy. Besides, medical experts also use this drug for other treatment options.
Important information for Adderall
Adderall may cause addiction, as this drug has soothing effects. Stimulants,
including Adderall, may cause stroke, heart disease, or slow down breathing.
Therefore, it requires you to stay cautious while taking the doses of Adderall.
Besides, the drug may cause unusual thoughts or behaviour, mainly, if you
have depression or mental illness.
While taking Adderall, take the prescribed doses and avoid other stimulants.
Ask your doctor about the possible drug interactions with Adderall. Besides
medicines, a few herbal products or health supplements can also interact with
Adderall. Therefore, tell your doctor if you are using any of these products.
How should you take Adderall
Take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Also, consider
following all the directions available at your prescription label. Besides, do not
take high doses to get fast relief from the symptoms of ADHD. Doing so may
increase the risks of severe side effects and may worsen your condition.
Therefore, consult with your doctor if the drug is not working and changes are
required in the dosages.
Being a potent stimulant, a person may quickly build dependence on Adderall.
Thus, never share your tablets with any person, even if they also have a
prescription. Besides, prefer morning doses of Adderall than taking it in the
evening or before bed.
Classification of the doses of Adderall
The doses of Adderall are different for every patient. However, the information is available at your prescription label. Thus, please read it carefully and take the prescribed doses only.
Adults doses for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
Adderall Instant release: Initial dose for ADHD is Adderall 5 mg orally, one
or two times a day. Besides, the maximum dose in rare cases can be 40 mg
per day. For maintenance, your doctor may increase 5 mg at weekly intervals.
Adderall extended release: For Adderall XR, a patient getting treatment for the first time or switching from another treatment. The initial dose can be Adderall XR 20 mg once in a day.
Adult doses for narcolepsy
Adderall immediate release: The initial oral doses can be Adderall 10 mg in divided doses throughout the day. For maintenance, your doctor may increase 10 mg at weekly intervals.
Adderall extended release: Doctors should give the first dose when the
patient awakes. Besides, the patient should maintain a 12 hours gap between the doses of Adderall XR.
Pediatric Dose for Attention Deficit Disorder
Age 3 to 5 years:
● Doctors prescribe the initial doses of Adderall 2.5 mg per day. Besides,
he may raise it by 2.5 mg at weekly intervals until he finds an optimal
● For this age group, doctors do not prescribe Adderall XR.
Age 6 to 17 years:
● The initial oral doses are Adderall 5 mg one or two times a day.
Besides, follow the doctor’s guidelines throughout the treatment.
● Adderall XR 5 mg or 10 mg once in a day (morning). Medical experts
prefer the morning doses of Adderall over evening or night doses.
Pediatric Dose of Adderall for Narcolepsy
Age 6 to 11 years:
● Doctors prescribe the initial doses of Adderall 5 mg per day. Besides,
he may raise it by 5 mg at weekly intervals until he finds an optimal
response. For this age group, doctors do not prescribe Adderall XR.
Age 12 years and above:
● The initial oral doses are Adderall 10 mg one or two times a day.
Besides, follow the doctor’s guidelines throughout the treatment.
● Adderall XR 10 mg once in a day (morning). Medical experts prefer the
morning doses of Adderall over evening or night doses.
Possible side effects of Adderall
Like other drugs, Adderall may also cause a few side effects. The risks are
higher at non-prescribed or altered doses. However, you may see a few side
effects, even at prescribed treatments. Thus, make sure to discuss it with your doctor.
While taking Adderall, you may undergo:
● stomach cramps
● loss of appetite
● loss of libido
● clammy hands
● changes in vision
These drug reactions can be both mild or severe. However, inform your doctor even if you have mild side effects of Adderall.
How to avoid the side effects of Adderall
To avoid these harsh drug reactions, you should take prescribed precautions.
It will help you to get most of the benefits of the medicine. Therefore, follow
these precautions mentioned below:
● Do not take alcohol when you are taking Adderall. Liquor can interact
with the working of Adderall and cause overdoses.
● Follow the medicinal guidelines properly throughout the treatment.
● Avoid orange juice if you have a low appetite. Besides, taking a meal
before Adderall will also benefit.
● Inform your doctor if Adderall stops working or does not provide relief
● Besides, call 911, if you have accidentally taken higher doses of